Reed Integration, Inc. (Reed) is a trusted partner for contract development, management, and strategy execution. Reed is a privately held company with the critical ability to maintain conflict-free relationships relative to organizations developing systems, components, or end products. Whether it is requirements development or contract closeout, our staff can provide systems engineering services for your organization.
Systems Engineering in DoD Acquisition
Defense Acquisition Guidebook: “The application of rigorous system engineering discipline is paramount to the Department's ability to meet the challenge of developing and maintaining needed warfighting capability. Rigorous system engineering should be included in systems acquisition contracting efforts (i.e., Request for Proposal and Source Selection) to integrate SE requirements. The Guide for Integrating Systems Engineering into DoD Acquisition Contracts provides guidance and best practices to implement SE policy initiatives in DoD Instruction 5000.02, Enclosure 12, and Systems Engineering Processes on any systems acquisition contracts.”
Requirements Development and Source Selection
Requests for proposals (RFPs) include specific instructions to offerors and contract evaluation factors. These RFP sections require systems engineering expertise to ensure clarity in each statement. Reed’s experienced systems engineers can guide your organization through this requirements development and criteria formulation. Reed can also support evaluation of responses, the management approach, costs, schedules, relevant experience, and past performance.
Example Evaluation Factors
- Understanding of Government needs
- Capability and capacity to perform the statement of work
- Validity and applicability of past performance
Reed's Acquisition Systems Engineering Service bridges the gaps and reduces risks:
- Integrated approach to ensure program success
- Rigorous requirements definition to allow consistent responses
- Stringent compliance verification to support best value selections
Project Acquisition Lifecycle ManagementReed can assist in the development your acquisition strategy and systems engineering implementation during contract development and during pre-solicitation and solicitation / evaluation phases of the Acquisition Lifecycle.
Some of the ways Reed can assist with during the Acquisition Planning phase:
- Market Research
- Acquisition Planning
- Acquisition Lifecycle Process Definition
- Acquisition Studies
- Concept of Operations (CONOPS) / Operational Requirements Document (ORD) Development
- Mission Needs Statement (MNS) Creation
- RFI Package Generation
- Draft Performance Work Statement (PWS) / Statement of Objectives (SOO) / Statement of Work (SOW) Definition
- Systems Engineering Strategies for Uncertainty and Complexity
- Technical Maturity Assessments
- Technology Planning
- Life Cycle Cost Estimation
Some of the many ways Reed can assist with during the Solicitation and Source Selection phase:
- Finalize Performance Work Statement (PWS) / Statement of Objectives (SOO) / Statement of Work (SOW)
- Instructions and Evaluation Criteria
- Price Template
- Draft RFQ / RFP
- Evaluation / Source Selection Plan
- Independent Cost Assessments (ICA)
- RFP Questions and Answers (Q&A’s)
- Evaluation Report
- Evaluation Team Training
- Configuration Management
- Cost and Price Analysis
- Operational Capability Demonstrations
- Integrated Master Schedule (IMS)
- Integrated Master Plan (IMP)
- Risk Management Approach and Plan
- Risk Identification
- Risk Impact Assessment and Prioritization
- Risk Mitigation Planning, Implementation, and Progress Monitoring
- Past Performance Evaluations
- Evaluation Report
- Conduct Facilities Evaluation and Document Results
- Negotiation Memos
- Oshkosh Corporation
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- DHS / US Coast Guard
- Northrop Grumman
- MYMIC, LLC
- Old Dominion University
- NASA Independent Program Assessment Office (IPAO)
- Department of Homeland Security United States Coast Guard Project Directorate
- US Joint Forces Command (JFCOM)
Typical Government Contracting Problem Areas
- Poorly Written Requirements
- Undocumented Changes / Decisions
- Incomplete Stakeholder Requirements
- Personnel Turnover/Loss of Continuity
- Unanticipated Policy Changes
- Inadequate Market Research
- Poor Knowledge Transfer / Miscommunication
- Undocumented Commitments and Responsibilities
Per DAU, Requirements Definition is the most important and most difficult step of the process. Let the requirements experts at Reed help!
Need help developing your systems engineering proposal text?
We understand the multiple pressures our Government clients face in achieving transformational objectives and operational results through the acquisition of large scale systems (Big “A” Acquisition). We listen to the complex challenges they must overcome throughout the acquisition lifecycle, including aggressive cost, schedule, and technical objectives.
Reed’s strategy is that of a confidential and trusted delegate for acquisition management support and strategy execution. We are a privately held company with no contract tasking to any corporations developing systems, components, or end items. Therefore, our team of experienced professionals can bring their experience to bear for our clients absolutely free of conflicts of interest concerns (FAR subpart 9.5 - biased ground rules, unequal access to information, or impaired objectivity), rendering fair and impartial advice. For this reason, Reed is capable of Supporting the Department of Defense, Federal civilian agencies, and the Intelligence Community with a complete array of program management and acquisition solutions.
Some of the ways Reed can assist with our Government Services
• Mission Needs Statements (MNS)
• Acquisition Systems Engineering (ASE)
• Independent Cost Assessments (ICAs)
• Independent Program / Project Assessments (IPAs)
• Independent Technical Assessments (ITAs)
• Independent Cost / Schedule Risk Assessments (IRAs)
• Independent Trade-off Studies (ITOs)
• Independent Expert Program Reviews (IEPRs)
• Source Selection Support
• CONOPS / ORD / SRD Development
• Program Management Plans
• Systems Engineering Plans (SEP)
• Earned Value Management (EVM)
• Risk Management Plans
• Work Breakdown Structures (WBS)
• Integrated Master Schedules (IMS)
• Stakeholder Analysis and Management Plans
• Life Cycle Cost Estimating (LCCE)
• Analysis of Alternatives (AOA)
• Test and Evaluation Master Plans (TEMP)
• IPT Charters
• IPT Facilitation and Participation
• Acquisition Reporting (i.e. Selected Acquisition Reports (SARs), Defense Acquisition Executive Summary (DAES), etc.)
• Procurement Management (e.g., pre-award, source selection, and contract administration support)
• Planning, Programming, Budgeting and Execution (PPBE) support
• Portfolio Assessment and Management
• Systems Engineering and Technical Assistance (SETA) performed by:
- Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) certified professionals (Program)
- Management, Contracting, and Systems Engineering) PMI Certified Project Management Professionals (PMP®s)
- Under Program Office direction, Reed Program/Project Managers, Systems Engineers and Analysts provide oversight and analysis of complex programs, systems, platforms and equipment, providing program management support, quality assurance and control, acquisition systems engineering, requirements management, configuration management, integration, verification and validation, financial and cost monitoring and assessment through earned value management (EVM), and risk management.
- It is our commitment to assist our clients by delivering high value-added professional services and advice. Our focus is on fostering business value in every engagement.
- To ensure we maximize the value we provide, we adopt customized and multidimensional approaches, relying on the right technology / software and other tools to increase the effectiveness of our work.
- We work with clients across government agencies to build long-term trusted partnerships.
- Our service offering is scalable, from major acquisition programs to smaller programs and projects.
- Our certified, multi-disciplinary team members, fluent in major systems acquisition best practices and tools, tailor our service offerings based on factors such as size, scope, and domain.
- To enable government agencies access to our specialized services in an easy-to-use and effective way, we have invested in several strategic government contract vehicles: GSA MOBIS, SeaPort-e 8(a) IDIQ, SBA 8(a) and WOSB / EDWOSB Business Development Programs, AMCOM Express (sub to Stanley / CGI),and DHS/USCG TEDSS (sub to Goldbelt Falcon). See our How to Engage page for details.
- Unbiased advice
- No Conflicts of Interest (COI, OCI)
- Agility and responsiveness, with large business SME reachback
- Seasoned and experienced leadership team
- Scalable and Flexible
- Deep Expertise
- Measurable outcomes that help ensure mission success
- Staff Augmentation and Mentoring – Experienced, PMI PMP Certified, Project Managers, Risk Managers, Certified Systems Engineering Professionals (CSEP) and Expert Systems Engineering Professionals (ESEP) are all available for short and long term durations.
- PMI PMP® certification preparation training
- INCOSE CSEP certification training
- INCOSE CSEP-Acq certification preparation training (based on US DoD Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG), Chapter 4)
Are your acquisition program efforts adversely impacted by:
Lack of validated requirements?
Critical dependence on external programs with developmental issues?
Lack of inter-and intra departmental stakeholder coordination and support?
Inadequate systems engineering?
Inadequate requirements flow-down/traceability/decomposition?
Inadequate project management?
Reed’s expertise ranges from up front Mission Needs Statements to Test and Evaluation Master Plans. Our experienced professionals combine the power of technology, effective program / project management, strategic planning, acquisition systems engineering and decision support services to create long-term results. Whichever mix of these services you need, learn more about it here, and
Contact Reed to find out how we can help you.